Annunaki Video Proof

Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Letters III

Letter from Ur-saga to a king fearing the loss of his father's household

1-2. Speak to my lord, the {bull} {(1 ms. has instead:) wild bull} {(1 other ms. has instead:) bison (?)} with sparkling eyes, who wears a lapis-lazuli beard:
3-5. Repeat to my golden statue born on a favourable day, to my water buffalo reared in a holy fold, chosen in the heart {of holy Inana} {(1 ms. has instead:) of holy Inana, ...... of Suen}, to my lord, the trusted one of Inana:
6-9. You are fashioned like the son of An. As with the words of a god, {what you say is irrevocable} {(1 ms. has instead:) all the foreign lands cannot answer (?) your words}. Your words, like rain pouring from the skies, {are uncountable} {(1 ms. has instead:) are uncheckable} {(1 other ms. has instead:) are uncontrollable (?)}: this is what Ur-saga, your servant, says:
10-14. My lord {has taken care of me} {(2 mss. have instead:) has not taken care of me}; I am a citizen of Urim. {If my lord agrees} {(1 ms. has instead:) If it pleases my lord}, let no one waste my father's household, let no one take away {the home of my father's estate} {(1 ms. has instead:) my old man's home}! May my lord know this!

Letter from Lugal-nesaje to a king radiant as the moon


Version A (from Nibru)

1-5. Say this to the king who has made his radiance resplendent over all the lands like the moonlight. Repeat it to the king who renders just verdicts like Utu and regulates decisions likeIctaran, to my king who heeds prayers. This is what {Lugal-nesaje} {(3 mss. have instead:)Lugal-cu} , a citizen of Nibru and your servant, says:
6-11. Like a sheep I use my mouth for eating grass and I am unfamiliar with washing with soap. Like an ox bearing a yoke which it cannot support, I have been driven out into the high plains. Like a cow whose calf is not close by, I utter pitiful cries. As happens to a ewe whose lamb is restrained in the milking pen, hands seize me. As happens to a bird, men take my nest away. As happens to a boat which is not anchored to a firm quay, I drift in the wind. (1 ms. omits lines 10-12)
12-15. In the streets of Nibru grief consumes me. A hostile city has taken over my city and I have no protector. A hostile house has taken over my house and ...... against me. In my city, like a slave, no ...... and I wear a filthy ...... fleece.
16-21. My friends, companions, acquaintances and esteemed colleagues look on with scorn as at a man who eats alone. My mother who begot me and whose breasts are crescent-shaped (?) has snatched from my mouth my contented consumption of milk. My father who raised me in his lap has cast me aside. My merciful lady whose house is treasured no longer notices me.
22-23. As happens to a sickly tree that has borne no fruit, no one rejoices over me. I am fresh fruit but I have no buds and I do not .......
24. May my king care for me and may I return to my former status.

Version B (from Urim)


unknown no. of lines missing
4 lines fragmentary
5-7. ...... to my king who heeds prayers.
1 line fragmentary ...... Nibru .......
8-18. Like a sheep I set my mouth to eating grass and I am unfamiliar with washing with soap. Like an ox under a yoke which it cannot support, I have been driven out into the high plains. Like a cow whose calf is not close by, I utter pitiful cries. As happens to a ......, hands seize me. As happens to a boat which is not anchored to a firm quay, I drift in the wind.

1 line fragmentary
unknown no. of lines missing

Letter from Lugal-nesaje to a king radiant as the sun


Version A

1-7. Say this to the king who like the sun has made the heart of the Land radiant. Repeat it to the one who removed oppressive toil from the furrow, who {defeated} {(1 ms. has instead:) confronted} Tidnum and holds its sceptre, who is counted as its honoured king. This is what {Lugal-nesaje} {(2 mss. have instead:Lugal-cu} , a citizen of Nibru and your servant, says:
8-15. A punishment which I do not understand has ravaged me and I have wailed my lamenting. In a strange city I moan like a dove and receive no mercy. I am constantly restless like a dog which does not know where to settle down. I am watchful like a bird which has flown from the claws of a falcon. My exuberance has perished in blight like a garden that has not been {watered} {(1 ms. has instead:) tended} . Envy within my king's palace overwhelms me and a bad reputation besets me.
16-31. Grief ....... Woe ....... Like an ox I am overwhelmed, ...... my fodder. My descendants and offspring are on good terms ...... their nest, ...... the mouth for eating food. {As happens on} {(1 ms. has instead:) Like a distant ...... from} the ...... high plains where the winds blow, ...... the mill. I will not be buried on dying but ...... ground like grain. My brother, although not an enemy, ...... contemptuously.
approx. 6 lines missing
3 lines fragmentary
32-33. The king ......, ...... like Utu.

Version B (from Kic)


unknown no. of lines missing
1-9. ...... a bird ...... the claws of a falcon. ...... like a garden which has been watered. Envy within my king's palace overwhelms me and ....... Grief ....... Woe ....... Like an ox I am overwhelmed, like ...... my fodder. My descendants and offspring are worried in their nests. Like a distant ...... from the ...... high plains where the winds blow, ...... the mill. I will not experience being buried as befits the dead but ...... ground like grain.

unknown no. of lines missing

Letter from Ur-Enlila to a governor and temple administrator

1-2. Say to the governor and temple administrator what Ur-Enlila says:
3-5. The irrigation ditch which has been cleared was bringing water but {Enlil-dijirju} {(1 ms. has instead:Enlil-aju} {(another ms. has instead:Enlilaju} and Hanzamu have drawn off the water and taken it from the ditch.
6. And what Lugal-Ane says:
7-12. I proposed, " {Water should be brought} {(1 ms. has instead:) The irrigation should be done} on the basis of one ditch for me, one ditch for you and one ditch for the governor," but they did not agree. Your canal has no workers but its ditch brings water. It brings water for me unchecked. My workforce is inadequate so send me five or {10} {(1 ms. has instead:) 60} able-bodied men. It is urgent.

Letter from a governor and temple administrator to a king


Version A (from Nibru)

1-2. Say to our king what the governor and temple administrator say:
3-10. The three car (i.e. 3,240 iku) of the field Dabta are assigned for the benefit of Enlil {(2 mss. add:, Ninlil} and Ninurta. Of this, {three bur (i.e. 54 iku)} {(1 ms. has instead:) threeBURgunu (i.e. 540 iku)} are the portion of the men in charge of the requisitions. Iqbisum andAbi-qati have made a claim over one bur (i.e. 18 iku) at the bottom of the field. If our king consents, he should send a courier and should ...... the instructions for doing the work and for the boundary stakes of the field.
11-15. Two iku at its ...... and the ...... area facing the field have been hoed and worked upon. Workers, extra labourers, farmers, ox-drivers and ploughmen being unavailable, the field has been harrowed with single oxen and we do the work with hoes. Our king should know this.

Version B (from Urim)

1-14. The three car (i.e. 3,240 iku) of the field Meam (Where-is-it?) are assigned for the benefit of Enlil and Ninurta. Of this, three BURgunu (i.e. 540 iku) are the portion of the men in charge of the requisitions. Two iku which are at its ...... have been hoed and ....... Ploughmen are not available for work on a plot in the field. Iqbisum and Abi-qati have made a claim against you. If my king consents, he should send a courier. They ...... the instructions for doing the work and for the boundary stakes of the field.

Letter from Aba-tah-lugalja to his brothers

1-2. Say to my brothers what Aba-tah-lugalja says:
3-12. We are to go on journeys that are long and now the just king, our king, draws near (?). Journey is to be added to journey after journey. I shall not be able to look after our mother. Take great care that the sun does not set over our neighbourhood before you have ...... one litre of salt, one litre of mustard (?) {(1 ms. adds on the lower edge:) , ...... from the hand,} and one ...... garment for travellers. Our journeys will be long. It is urgent.

Letter from Ugubi to his mother

1-3. Traveller, traveller, say to my mother what Ugubi says:
4-11. Urim is the joyful city of Nanna. But I sit behind the door of the chief musician's house inEridug, the abundant city of Enki. Longing consumes me. I don't want to die because the bread is never fresh and the beer is never fresh. Send a messenger to me at once. It is urgent.

Letter from Camac-tab to Ilak-ni'id

1-2. Say to Ilak-ni'id what Camac-tab says:
3-12. It is a journey of one month and fifteen days, and ....... Why on the third day of the month have you not brought your news to me {at} {(1 ms. has instead:) from} Niqqum? I have looked out for you and your route was arranged. In question are: 4 shekels of silver for 2 yoked donkeys, 1/2 shekel of silver for 1 linen ...... garment, 1 shekel for your rental of the boat, and 1 and 1/3 shekels for your ...... rental of the boat.
1 line unclear
Your additional expenditure is not included in this total.
13-18. I have calculated the cost of two loads of purple wool for you. The price is {1 and 2/3} {(2 mss. have instead:) 2/3} mana of silver -- bring me the equivalent in tin. And look out for quartz (?), ...... stone and ...... stone. Your extra silver and the capital have been held for you and recorded on a clay tablet. From now on news should be brought about you. It is urgent.

Letter from Lugal-nesaje to Enlil-massu

1-9. Say this to Enlil-massu who {enhances} {(1 ms. has instead:) pronounces} advice and counsel, the mellifluous mouth which makes speech persuasive. Repeat it to the son who serves his god and respects his father and mother. {Say it a third time} {(1 ms. has instead:) Repeat it} to my protective guardian and propitious spirit -- the precious powers -- whose form and stature are pleasing, honour to the scribal craft, {hero among the administrators and ornament of the palace} {(1 Urim ms. has instead:) hero among the administrators} {(2 mss. have instead:) ornament of the palace and hero among the administrators} who reinstates decrees and greatly pleases the heart of his king. This is what Lugal-nesaje, the nuec priest ofEnlil and person who brings laughter to the king, son of {Enlil-alsag} {(1 Urim ms. has instead:)Zuzu} , the scholar of Nibru and your father, says:
10-16. When {your mighty ......} {(the 2 Urim mss. have instead:) my ......} completely crushed me, my heart sank and {thirst and hunger} {(1 Urim ms. has instead:) hunger and thirst} wasted me away. Your status consumes me, your complaints crush me, your majesty oppresses me, your {slander} {(1 Urim ms. has instead:) your storminess} puts an end to me. {After being attentive I have been abandoned} {(the 2 Urim mss. have instead:) Despite being attentive I have been cut off from my position} . {Deceit has emerged from my wisdom and sympathy} {(1 Urim ms. has instead:) Deceit has replaced wisdom and sympathy} . (2 mss. omit line 16)
17-20. {After my becoming sorely afraid, my heart is full of blood and gore. As a result of deep concern, I am in distress.} {(1 Urim ms. has instead:) On my becoming sorely afraid, my heart ...... blood and much gore. As a result of deep concern, I am in distress.} {(the other Urim ms. has instead:) As a result of deep concern, I am in distress. As a result of becoming sorely afraid, my heart is full of blood and gore.} So long as I have not gone to the place where destiny is decided, may your countenance favour me in accordance with the instructions ofEnlil.

Letter from Inanaka to the goddess Nintinuga

1-11. Say to Nintinuga, the reliable stewardess of the E-kur, the physician of the Land; repeat to the lady, whose incantation heals the multitude of people, whose spells make the people recover, to {my}{(1 ms. has instead:) the} relenting lady, who loves to revive the people and loves supplications, the merciful and compassionate one who listens to prayers. You are the caretaker of the living and the dead; you are the great healer of all the crippled ones. This is what Inanaka, the daughter of Enlil-a-mah, your maidservant says:
12-18. I have fallen ill {for a second time}{(1 ms. has instead:) twice (?)}, but I do not yet know the divine oracle concerning {my being in agonies}{(1 ms. has instead:) these agonies}. {(1 ms. adds:) .......} My lady, a house has been built for me, but I have to sit there with longing eyes. My valued acquaintances {keep}{(1 ms. has instead:) stay} away from me. I have no one who would take care of me. Since this is full, too full for me, I am distressed.
19-25. If it pleases my lady, {and the asag demon which is in my body leaves my body, and thus}{(some mss. have instead:) may the asag demon which is in my body leave my body, so that} {it (the asag demon) allows me}{(1 ms. has instead:) I can} step again on the {path}{(1 ms. has instead:) ground} of life with my feet. {I will then be your maidservant, the courtyard sweeper of your temple, and will serve you. Furthermore after I have recovered, I will name you, my lady, as "the healer of the crippled"} {(some mss. have instead:) I will then be her maidservant, the courtyard sweeper of her temple, and will serve her. Furthermore after I have recovered, I will name her, my lady, as "the healer of the crippled"}.

Letter from Inim-Inana to Enlil-massu

1-2. Say to Enlil-massu what Inim-Inana says:
3-15. They told me everything and I am pleased beyond exaggeration. May the precious protective power of a lifetime; Lugal-cuNabi-Enlil and Enlil-alsag, the scholars who precede you; and Ninimma, your own goddess, and Nisaba, the lady of broad wisdom, give wisdom to you. You did not know what was written on the tablet or that the city would be unforthcoming.Lu-gena is sending you two shekels of silver, one garment and two sashes. Accept them. But your mother should not touch the remaining assets. It is urgent.

Letter from Inim-Inana to Lugal-ibila

1-2. Say to Lugal-ibila what Inim-Inana says:
3-12. Don't neglect the Sumerian language. For the second time, I am sending you a message in correct language. {(1 ms. adds:) ...... is .......} Don't let the children who sit before you go out from the school. However much anyone misleads you and says "I want to go" on account of his father, until you and I agree on a sign and a messenger comes to you, don't let the children out. {......} {(the ms. which adds l. 4A has instead:) A father entrusts his child's well-being to your ......} . It is urgent.

Letter from Gudea to his personal deity

1-2. Speak to my god: this is what Gudea, your servant, says:
3-4. I am like a sheep who has no reliable shepherd; there is no reliable herdsman to lead me on.
5-6. An unintelligent merchant transported me (?) for trading purposes. With a vicious whip he ...... me cruelly like a donkey.
7-9. I am noble (?) but do not utter a word, being vigilantly (?) ....... Seven times ...... has not ...... my accomplishments. Seven times my god (?) has not been able to find out about their extent.
10. My god, I am not one to be hostile. May you show sympathy towards me once again.

Letter from the scribe Nanna-mancum to the goddess Ninisina

1-11. Speak to Ninisina, first-born child of holy An, eminent among ladies, ...... of LordNunamnir; who perfects the divine powers of E-kur, ...... of the great mother Ninlil, with notions in her heart which are expressed (?); wife of the great hero, Lord Pabilsaj, youth who has no rival; holy Ninisina, you reapply (?) a dressing to soothe the dark place of sores which no one can understand; mother of the Land, great physician of the black-headed, incantation priestess of the widespread people -- from the namtar demon and ...... which are settled in a man's body and which no one knows how to expel, divine lady of the Egal-mah, with the help of ...... you will make that person well again. ...... to keep a person alive ......, ...... who knows and listens, to my lady:
12-13. This is what Nanna-mancum, the scribe, son of Ilcu-muballit, your servant, says:
14-20. When (?) ...... took care (?), she placed on my (?) ....... The barber ......, the throne-bearer of the gods has given me ....... Nine times she (?) has placed on my head ...... and battle-axe. ...... gathered in Nibru and Isin. They approached me but did not give their ...... for my life. They have applied and created a dressing which does not hold. She (?) made a fattened (?) dove come (?), for my .......

Letter from X to the god Nanna

1-7. Say to Nanna, the firstborn son of Enlil, who loves prayers; repeat to the lord whose light spreads widely, the crown of heaven and earth, the great lord who loves to revive man; the father of the black-headed; the merciful king, who can untie and release; the merciful, compassionate god who listens to appeals:
8-16. You who are perfect in lordship and wear the legitimate headdress, the one with gleaming appearance and noble countenance, holy form endowed lavishly with beauty: your greatness covers all countries. Your fearsome radiance overwhelms the holy sky. Your great awesomeness is imbued with terror. ...... is pre-eminent in the Land. You are indeed glorious from east to west. From the interior of heaven ...... has given you ......, and entrusted you with the heavens. You are the king of heaven and earth; it is you who decide their fate.

Letter from Inim-Enlila to a king

Segment A

1-7. Say to the king who entreats the gods fervently and, serving the gods, prepares the food offerings; repeat to the one elevated in stature who has the ability to give advice and counsel, the merciful one who makes the Land feel content -- this is what Inim-Enlila the scribe, son ofSuen-palil, your servant, says:
8-10. I do not know my punishment: my punishment has not been considered yet. I am devoured by sorrow at the fate of the captive (?) families. Let my bones not be carried off by water to a foreign city.
unknown no. of lines missing

Segment B

1.
1 line fragmentary may not be part of this composition
unknown no. of lines missing

Letter from Kug-Nanna to the god Nincubur

Segment A

1-13. Say to
1 line missing
to the counsellor who constantly cares for ......, the god who distributes the divine powers, who utters pleasing words, who ...... a verdant branch by his head; the linen-clad god of the abzu, the chief administrator, who makes the oracular responses (?) favourable, whose words are pre-eminent; the powerful one (?) at the bow (?) of the boat "Stag of the Abzu", the lord of wide and complete wisdom, the minister who knows An's secrets, with whom no god can compare; the lord of the protective goddesses; him whose great sweet eyes inspire confidence, who provides the Anuna gods, the great gods, with food offerings; the adviser who comes forth from the skies, who is worthy of holy Inana; without whom no lord or king could receive the lofty sceptre -- to Nincubur, the merciful god who listens to prayers and supplications, repeat: this is what Kug-Nanna the incantation priest, the son of Lugal-ka-gena, your servant, says:
14-15. I am ......, I am an ailing old man, I am ...... handcuffs.
1 line fragmentary
unknown no. of lines missing

Segment B

1-4.
1 line fragmentary
1 line unclear
...... foreign plague ...... looked at me contemptuously and insulted me for my doing ....... In the street my friend would not talk to me; he bent his head down.
5-13. If it pleases you, my god, allow me to soothe your angry heart, so that your spirit will be assuaged. May the mackim demon that perpetrates evil be ripped apart, so that he will flee my body. May the asag demon be extirpated from my limbs, so that my dark days will become bright. I cannot bear your heavy punishment any longer; declare that "It is over"! May I, the humble servant, not be destroyed; declare that "It is over"! Like milk ...... your greatness ......, ...... to my home.
1 line fragmentary
unknown no. of lines missing


No comments:

Post a Comment